|Version 12 (modified by raimue@…, 3 years ago) (diff)|
Subscribe to a Mailing List
There are several mailing lists related to MacPorts:
- macports-users – User support
- macports-dev – Development of MacPorts base and ports
- macports-announce – Announcements of new releases, low traffic (read only)
- macports-changes – Commits to the repository (read only, also per RSS)
- macports-tickets – Newly created tickets and status changes (read only, also per RSS)
You need to be subscribed to post to these mailing lists as an anti-spam measurement. To subscribe, visit the pages linked above, which contain further instructions.
The PortMgr team has another list for private communication. You cannot subscribe to this list, but you are allowed to send mails there without being subscribed.
- macports-mgr – Private MacPorts managers list, for requesting project membership or reporting security issues (write only)
Short Introduction to Mailing Lists
Create a new mail folder for this mailing list, where all the mails you will get through the list should be collected. As next step, set up a mail filter in your mail client to filter all mails with To or CC containing the list address <listname>@lists.macosforge.org to this new created folder. This prevents your Inbox from getting spammed with lots of mails and offers clear distinction which mail arrived through which list.
When replying to a mail from the mailing list, it is important that you use the Reply All button in your mail client. This way the mail will not only go to the author of the mail you are about to reply to, but also to the list. You usually want to address the whole list, so others are always able to chime in or can benefit from your reports.
MacPorts List Archives
Searchable archives of MacPorts' mailing lists are also available:
- macports-users: gmane.org, nabble.com, mail-archive.com
- macports-dev: gmane.org, nabble.com, mail-archive.com
Posting from an archive
Posting from such third-party archives is not possible in most cases as you still need to be subscribed to write a message to the mailing lists. Please subscribe to the mailing lists using the links mentioned above. If you do not wish to receive mails directly to your Inbox as you are reading and posting from an archive, mailman offers a setting to disable mail delivery for your email address. Disabling mail delivery will still allow you to post.
Legacy DarwinPorts List Archives
The original DarwinPorts' mail archives (activity ceased September 6th, 2006) are here: