#54259 closed defect (worksforme)

MoarVM will not compile on 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

Reported by: drennanelawar (Daniel Drennan ElAwar) Owned by: coke (Will Coleda)
Priority: Normal Milestone:
Component: ports Version:
Keywords: Cc: mojca (Mojca Miklavec)
Port: MoarVM

Description

I get the following when trying to install MoarVM:

linking libmoar.dylib
linking moar
Undefined symbols:
  "_MVM_telemetry_finish", referenced from:
      _main in main.o
  "_MVM_telemetry_interval_stop", referenced from:
      _main in main.o
ld: symbol(s) not found
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make: *** [moar] Error 1
make: Leaving directory `/Volumes/DEV0/var/macports/build/_Volumes_DEV0_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_lang_MoarVM/MoarVM/work/MoarVM-2017.05'
Command failed:  cd "/Volumes/DEV0/var/macports/build/_Volumes_DEV0_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_lang_MoarVM/MoarVM/work/MoarVM-2017.05" && /usr/bin/make -j2 -w all 
Exit code: 2
Error: Failed to build MoarVM: command execution failed
DEBUG: Error code: CHILDSTATUS 87863 2
DEBUG: Backtrace: command execution failed
    while executing
"system {*}$notty {*}$nice $fullcmdstring"
    invoked from within
"command_exec build"
    (procedure "portbuild::build_main" line 8)
    invoked from within
"$procedure $targetname"
Error: See /Volumes/DEV0/var/macports/logs/_Volumes_DEV0_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_lang_MoarVM/MoarVM/main.log for details.
DEBUG: invalid command name "::ui_init"
    while executing
"::ui_init $priority $prefix $channels($priority) {*}$args"
    ("uplevel" body line 2)
    invoked from within
"uplevel 1 $body"

log attached.

Attachments (3)

main.log (106.4 KB) - added by drennanelawar (Daniel Drennan ElAwar) 23 months ago.
main.log
main-2.log (70.6 KB) - added by drennanelawar (Daniel Drennan ElAwar) 23 months ago.
2nd attempt log
moarvm-10.6-successful-build.log (122.6 KB) - added by kencu (Ken) 23 months ago.

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (10)

Changed 23 months ago by drennanelawar (Daniel Drennan ElAwar)

Attachment: main.log added

main.log

comment:1 Changed 23 months ago by mojca (Mojca Miklavec)

Owner: set to coke
Status: newassigned
Version: 2.4.1

I'm unable to reproduce the problem and the port built ok on the 10.6 buildbot as well.

Maybe a different volume has something to do with it, but I don't know why that would be the case. Maybe you can try to clean the build and then run

sudo port -v install MoarVM configure.compiler=macports-clang-3.4

just in case that one works better.

comment:2 Changed 23 months ago by mf2k (Frank Schima)

Port: MoarVM added

Changed 23 months ago by drennanelawar (Daniel Drennan ElAwar)

Attachment: main-2.log added

2nd attempt log

comment:3 Changed 23 months ago by drennanelawar (Daniel Drennan ElAwar)

Thanks for the quick response. I tried your more specific command, with no success....

New log attached.

comment:4 Changed 23 months ago by mojca (Mojca Miklavec)

Can you please ask upstream for help with your issue? They are accessible via IRC channel #moarvm, their bug tracker is at https://github.com/MoarVM/MoarVM/issues. I could ask them, but if I'm unable to reproduce the problem, I cannot provide feedback when they ask me further questions.

comment:5 Changed 23 months ago by kencu (Ken)

I just built it as well, on 10.6.8 (this system is set up with LibcxxOnOlderSystems and default compiler=macports-clang-3.9).

$ port -v installed moarvm
The following ports are currently installed:
  MoarVM @2017.05_0 (active) platform='darwin 10' archs='x86_64' date='2017-05-30T23:13:42-0700'

Your missing symbols should be defined and built in src/profiler/telemeh.c. Check your telemeh.o object file and see what it contains.

I'll enclose a log from a debug build here so you can compare to yours. It's not immediately obvious to me what is wrong, though.

Last edited 23 months ago by kencu (Ken) (previous) (diff)

Changed 23 months ago by kencu (Ken)

comment:6 Changed 23 months ago by drennanelawar (Daniel Drennan ElAwar)

Well, I apologize for the effort on your part as much as I thank you for it. I followed the instructions I found concerning Using libc++ on older systems and this has fixed the issue.

comment:7 Changed 18 months ago by kencu (Ken)

Resolution: worksforme
Status: assignedclosed

must have been something specific on your system -- at any rate, glad it works now~

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.