Ticket #24930 (new enhancement)
Update PATH environment variable for all users
|Reported by:||sorin.sbarnea@…||Owned by:||macports-tickets@…|
The macports installer should update the PATH variable by itself, without requiring users to configure it. Configuring path variable by the average user is a complex task and removing this manual stop is an important step in promoting macports.
On OS X the proper way to modify PATH environment variable for all users, including root is to change /etc/paths file and add the new paths to it. The file contains the paths (each on separate line).
I tested this and it work at least with OS X 10.6
- Keywords installer removed
- Component changed from ports to base
- Milestone MacPorts 1.9.0 deleted
- Type changed from defect to enhancement
- Summary changed from Update PATH environment variable from the installer to Update PATH environment variable for all users
- Cc 1handle@…, ryandesign@… added
- Milestone set to MacPorts Future