Ticket #10827 (closed defect: fixed)
BUG: 'port -f -R upgrade' rebuilds too much
|Reported by:||stephen@…||Owned by:||jmr@…|
|Keywords:||Cc:||jmpp@…, jberry@…, eridius@…, boeyms@…|
Here's a log (partially completed, and of course I have no idea how much longer it's going to run) of port -f -R upgrade openssl. Both -f and -R are necessary AFAICT because port doesn't have versioned dependencies for at least some packages (eg gettext and libiconv) so upgrading those packages silently breaks others, even with -R, because dyld *does* track library versions, and the upgraded library won't link. This wouldn't be a problem---I'd just have an unupgraded package whose old version probably still works---except that port often has deactivated some library in the process of upgrading and doesn't reactivate it on abort due to build breakage. Thus -f is needed.
Net effect---I don't dare upgrade anything unless I can afford literally days of downtime.
On second thought, it looks like posting the log as text is too much work; I'll cross my fingers and hope there's an opportunity to attach it later.
- Summary changed from port rebuilds too much to BUG: port rebuilds too much
- Summary changed from BUG: port rebuilds too much to BUG: 'port -f upgrade' rebuilds too much
comment:11 Changed 6 years ago by boeyms@…
- Cc stephen@…, jmpp@…, jberry@…, eridius@…, boeyms@… added
comment:13 Changed 5 years ago by jmpp@…
- Priority changed from High to Normal
- Milestone changed from MacPorts 1.5 to MacPorts base bugs
comment:18 Changed 5 years ago by jmr@…
- Owner changed from macports-tickets@… to jmr@…
- Status changed from new to assigned
- Cc jmr@… removed
- Summary changed from BUG: 'port -f upgrade' rebuilds too much to BUG: 'port -f -R upgrade' rebuilds too much
comment:20 Changed 5 years ago by jmr@…
- Version set to 1.4.0
- Milestone changed from MacPorts base bugs to MacPorts 1.6.1