Opened 10 years ago

Closed 9 years ago

#27734 closed defect (wontfix)

wget: Wrong Chinese translation for "ETA" and "in"

Reported by: johnsonlaucn@… Owned by: ryandesign (Ryan Schmidt)
Priority: Normal Milestone:
Component: ports Version: 1.9.2
Keywords: haspatch Cc:
Port: wget

Description

This is a common known bug of wget that fixed in many Linux distros but still valid on the latest wget upstream.

ETA is wrongly translated to British Central Time in Chinese, which word contains 17 chars, exceeds the suggested 3 chars and causes the progress bar become very strange.

I updated the new po/gmo files and Portfile to correct this.

Attachments (2)

wget.zip (33.2 KB) - added by johnsonlaucn@… 10 years ago.
Updated portfile and translations
wget.2.zip (35.9 KB) - added by johnsonlaucn@… 10 years ago.
Corrected another translation issue

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (4)

Changed 10 years ago by johnsonlaucn@…

Attachment: wget.zip added

Updated portfile and translations

comment:1 Changed 10 years ago by jmroot (Joshua Root)

Cc: ryandesign@… removed
Owner: changed from macports-tickets@… to ryandesign@…

Changed 10 years ago by johnsonlaucn@…

Attachment: wget.2.zip added

Corrected another translation issue

comment:2 Changed 9 years ago by ryandesign (Ryan Schmidt)

Keywords: haspatch added
Resolution: wontfix
Status: newclosed
Summary: Wrong Chinese translation for ETA in wgetwget: Wrong Chinese translation for "ETA" and "in"

It looks like the current version of wget, 1.13.4, has already fixed the wrong zh_CN translations of these two strings, but has not added the zh_TW translations of them.

But it's not MacPorts' responsibility to fix translations of software, especially of software like wget that's being actively developed. Report the problem and the fix in the wget issue tracker instead. Hopefully they will fix it and release a new version, to which we will then update the port in MacPorts.

The zh_CN translation you proposed for "eta" ("估时") is the one they are using now, but while the translation you proposed for "in" was "花时", they are using "用时". Therefore I don't know if your proposed zh_TW translation for "in" ("花時") is correct or should be similarly modified. But it's a matter to discuss with the wget folks, not here.

FYI when submitting change requests to the MacPorts project, supply diffs of Portfiles, not complete new Portfiles. This makes it easier to review your proposed changes and provide you with a quicker response. It's also not ideal to include files in your patch that can be generated from other files; you included .gmo files that were generated from the modified .po files, so it would have been better to make the port rebuild the .gmo files. Otherwise I would have to remember to manually rebuild them every time I update the port.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.